Documentation Mismatch? Messaging Service and From:

The API documentation at: https://www.twilio.com/docs/sms/api/message-resource#create-a-message-resource

Says about From

If you are using messaging_service_sid, this parameter must be empty.

But over here: https://support.twilio.com/hc/en-us/articles/223181308-Getting-started-with-Messaging-Services

It says:

If you wish, you can also pass a specific From number anytime you want to bypass the automatic number selection that would otherwise be applied by your Messaging Service.

I'm rooting for being able to specify a From: number when using a messaging service. While I could try it and see if it works, I don't want to rely on something and find out it's an undocumented feature that gets turned off.

So which one is correct? Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• sbrijmohan
    sbrijmohan admin
    edited September 8

Hi @justinp , so the support article is correct, we can pass both (from and messagingServiceSid params, from will take precedence over messagingServiceSid if we pass both) as the article mentioned. The part in the documentation that is not correct explained is this one: "if you are using messagingServiceSid, this parameter must be empty", here I believe what we wanted to say is " You must not pass a from param if you want the messagingServiceSid to be used.

Thank you for pointing this out! We will be sure to update the documentation so the messaging is more clear.✨

• justinp
    justinp
    edited September 8

@sbrijmohan - Thanks, there is still a little confusion with your answer. The support article about messaging service, makes the case that just the automatic number selection will be bypassed:

If you wish, you can also pass a specific From number anytime you want to bypass the automatic number selection that would otherwise be applied by your Messaging Service.

Your answer seems to indicate that the entire Messaging Service will be ignored? As you well know there is a lot more going on with Messaging Services than just the automatic number selection, so I want to make sure I'm following you correctly. If we specify a FROM, we get no benefits of a messaging service.

(In which case, both the article and the API documentation is wrong.)

Thank you.

• It does! Thank you very much