Please excuse our look. We're just getting started here.Want to learn more about Twilio Forums? Check out our FAQ page here.
Happy Latinx Heritage Month! ✨
Yesterday kicked off Latinx Heritage Month: a 30-day celebration of Latinx culture, achievements, and traditions. Although it is a US-centric holiday, at Twilio, we celebrate globally and acknowledge our Twilions in the states and abroad!
This article by Milagros Chirinos was very educational on the different histories from the LatinX countries. Check out a snippet from the article below.
“Puerto Ricans, Mexican-Americans, Chicanos, Cubans and Central Americans have very specific histories,” Martinez said. “There is a lot of doubt that one single term can define and group all these populations together, but at the same time the use of one term does have the potential to help consolidate these communities and create a broader political group to defend their rights and defend collective action.
"Martínez provides a quick breakdown of the terms:
- “Hispanic” is the oldest term used to refer to the largest and one of the most diverse growing minorities in the U.S. The word is often associated with the origins of Spanish colonialism in America and can exclude indigenous, Brazilian and other non-Spanish-speaking groups.
- “Latino” is thought to be more inclusive in terms of geography as it doesn’t relate to language and embraces the whole region. However, the androcentric nature of this Spanish-language term, i.e. the use of masculine form as universal, excludes an entire group of identities.
- “Latinx” is a newer term that has recently gained popularity among scholars, activists and millennials that is inclusive of gender-expansive and gender non-conforming individuals. Additionally, “Latinx” challenges the binary nature of the Spanish-language term Latino(a). The powerful “X” has opened the door to a variety of identities, and it is also used in the term “Chicanx(o/a)” to highlight the broad indigenous heritage of many groups."
Happy #LatinxHeritage Month to our Twilions and community! Let us know how you'll be celebrating by dropping a comment below!
- 83 All Categories
- 19 SIGNAL 2021
- 376 Product Discussions
- 7 Community - Announcements
- 2 Changelog
- 4 Forum UI Updates
- 8 Welcome Guide
- 6 Community - Events
- 2 Twilio Relay Developer Conference 2021 Mega Thread
- 1 External Community Events
- 25 Inspiration
- 17 Community - Other Discussions
- 1 Community- Twilio Startups