Please excuse our look. We're just getting started here.

Want to learn more about Twilio Forums? Check out our FAQ page here.

Happy Latinx Heritage Month! ✨

sbrijmohan
sbrijmohan admin
edited September 16 in Twilio Community

Yesterday kicked off Latinx Heritage Month: a 30-day celebration of Latinx culture, achievements, and traditions. Although it is a US-centric holiday, at Twilio, we celebrate globally and acknowledge our Twilions in the states and abroad!

This article by Milagros Chirinos was very educational on the different histories from the LatinX countries. Check out a snippet from the article below.

“Puerto Ricans, Mexican-Americans, Chicanos, Cubans and Central Americans have very specific histories,” Martinez said. “There is a lot of doubt that one single term can define and group all these populations together, but at the same time the use of one term does have the potential to help consolidate these communities and create a broader political group to defend their rights and defend collective action.

"Martínez provides a quick breakdown of the terms:

• “Hispanic” is the oldest term used to refer to the largest and one of the most diverse growing minorities in the U.S. The word is often associated with the origins of Spanish colonialism in America and can exclude indigenous, Brazilian and other non-Spanish-speaking groups.
  • “Latino” is thought to be more inclusive in terms of geography as it doesn’t relate to language and embraces the whole region. However, the androcentric nature of this Spanish-language term, i.e. the use of masculine form as universal, excludes an entire group of identities.
  • “Latinx” is a newer term that has recently gained popularity among scholars, activists and millennials that is inclusive of gender-expansive and gender non-conforming individuals. Additionally, “Latinx” challenges the binary nature of the Spanish-language term Latino(a). The powerful “X” has opened the door to a variety of identities, and it is also used in the term “Chicanx(o/a)” to highlight the broad indigenous heritage of many groups."

Happy #LatinxHeritage Month to our Twilions and community! Let us know how you'll be celebrating by dropping a comment below!

Tagged:

Comments

• Happy Latinx Heritage Month todos! Would love to hear from everyone how they plan to celebrate, any events for Latinx in tech you'd like to promote or just drop yours/your ancestors flag(s) in the comments?

🇵🇦 Panameña

This month I'm looking forward to hosting an ERG (Employee Resource Group) game happy hour and finally reading Finding Latinx!

• Hello!

I'm 🇪🇸 Español and a native Spanish speaker.

Un cordial saludo a todos mis hermanos y hermanas del mundo hispano.

I want to start by saying that I don't identify as Latinx - this term seems an attempt by English-speaking activists to solve a poorly understood and broader challenge.

Spanish, like most (all?) latin-derived languages, has gendered pronouns, nouns, adjectives and adverbs. English, on the other side, only has gendered pronouns.

Can we make the Spanish language feel more inclusive? Sure we can. It's a lofty goal.

We use pronouns for non human subjects. The moon is "la luna" and the sun is "el sol" - should we start calling it "lo lunx" y "lo solx"? Pronouns beyond "el" y "la" have dramatically less adoption.

There are less than 200 words in Spanish that end in x, and most are transliterations from Latin or Greek (think "thorax")

Can you see the problems with "Latinx"?

For me, the biggest one is that it is a term that others applied onto a cultural group. And when they did it, they also chose poorly.

If you want to know what to call a cultural group, you should ask that group what they call themselves. There are 580 million Spanish speakers in the world. How many of them would say" "Yo me considero latinx"?

Parting salvo:

The word "America" is an English transliteration of the Latin word for the continent. It is a feminine word by convention, and perhaps we can assume that the convention was established because "Europa" was a Greek goddess.

By definition, then, the statement "I'm an American" is gendered. Does it also bother us? Would "Americxn" be a better alternative?

Gotta get back to the Video Room Monitxr

• Buenos dias [email protected] (From Mexico 🇲🇽), I just what you to remind you to also celebrate Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) and Biblical Magi (Reyes Magos) with your family. Both days are very special when you spend time understanding the cultural heritage instead of the more traditional of buying gifts/candies days.

Bor me Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) was the time to remember my older brother and my grandmother (both R.I.P.) and the perfect opportunity to recall my mom child experiences with my grandmother and how strict she was, browse through family albums share histories and eat Mole (sauce).

Guys, please have a wonderful day, if you are Latino, empower yourself with your Aztec/Maya warrior roots, be happy and eat delicious food.

• Hi, @sam thank you for sharing your thoughts! We appreciate you taking the time to share your opinion. Using the term "Latinx" was definitely something we put some deep thought into, here's our overall rationale as the Latinx at Twilio:

• We found Latinx to be the most inclusive term for our demographic as it is purposely inclusionary of folks that are from Latin American ethnicities, nationalities and cultures, as well as gender identities.
    • While this month has been referred to as Hispanic Heritage Month, Twilio has moved away from the word Hispanic because it refers only to Spain and Spanish-speaking countries, excluding non-Spanish speaking countries and indigenous populations in Latin America (Check out this HRC article too)
    • And yes, we realize that Latinx doesn't include folks from Spain, but that is done intentionally, as our focus is to uplift and shine a light on the Latinx community specifically as it has often been underrepresented, oppressed and undervalued in the U.S. and non-Latin countries. Something that European/white descendants don’t typically face.
    • The use of the letter X can be replaced with E when speaking Spanish or Portuguese, as the pronunciation of X in those languages is not often used in the same way.
    • I don't think this X needs to be added to every single word, but I think it's important when it comes to descriptive words of people, as that's where gender identities come to play in our language.
    • All of that said, we welcome every community member to join as allies if they don't identify as Latinx. We'd love to have more accomplices to help us share the message and create awareness around these specific issues and focus areas.

Below are some extra articles on Twilios status on antiracism.

Please feel free to reach out if you have any feedback and continue this conversation in 🧵:

• @markwinap Thank you for sharing your traditions! I'm especially looking forward to Day of the Dead (Día de Muertos) so I can pay tribute to my ancestors. There's so much beauty in the holiday! If you can eat some mole for me. HA!

If this is an emergency, please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel. https://support.twilio.com/
Have an urgent question?
Please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel.
Contact Support