✨ Final Scavenger Hunt Bonus: Share how you self-care in tech

smendez
smendez
edited October 21 in SIGNAL 2021

We know how easy it can be to get caught on a bug, jumping from project to project, or even just feeling as though if you're not coding 24/7 that you're not a good developer. Just like how we encourage our Twilions to take breaks, we would like to encourage you to do the same.

How do you engage in self-care as a developer? Are there any resources you use? Links encouraged!

This can be anything from meditation apps to hacks you've found to shut down your computer after a certain period of time to just "my dog looks at me with those eyes and I know I need to go for a walk". Let us know!

We're looking for genuine, thoughtful answers. Help out your fellow devs! :)

Also, thank you so much for joining us for our first ever SIGNAL Scavenger Hunt. <3

Tagged:

Comments

• Working remotely now, its so much easier for me to get sucked in to work. I've come to understand my really productive times and push through then. Working remotely had its advantages because now I can take a few minutes and do some house chores to give my mind a rest. With a couch 6 feet outside my home office, I can kick my feet up for a minute and really relax before getting back to it. I've really found all of this so much more productive than when I was working in person...

• I owe my dogs many walks and play time everyday. He helps me exercise and take breaks 😃

• Fortunately, my dog keeps a stricter schedule than I do. Her insistence on going for walks at the same time daily helps get me away from the keyboard. Many bugs have been solved with a leash in hand.

• My go-to is https://mynoise.net/, great sounds for meditation or just relaxation.

• I actually love going to my studio to get a bit social and to ensure that my body gets a good work out in. For lunches instead of eating out since I work at home I try to make myself something quick and healthy to eat plus I like cooking its relaxing. #selfcare it's a full time job in itself.

• I get out and go for a bike ride if I’m stuck on something or just need a break. Codingame.com is also a great way to brush up on algorithms while making a game out of it.

• Suvink
    Suvink ✭✭✭

I have to work 17-18 hours a day and most of the time when I'm frustrated or stuck with a bug, I use these. A friend sent me these a couple of months back and they're fun!

https://matias.ma/nsfw/ and https://driveandlisten.herokuapp.com/

Enjoy! And don't forget to stay hydrated!

• Playtime with these 2 dudes

• Just take time off... massages are good, working on your own projects, and trying not to burn out.

• Walking. There are times when I forget about going for a walk, but every time I go, I immediately understand how necessary it is. Fresh air + physical movement. Could not recommend this enough.

• I use a pomodoro timer to remind myself to rest my eyes, stretch, and take a walk during the rest time. I also make it a habit that unless it's urgent, I don't work on work stuff after hours.

• Change of scenery as much as I can, work from different rooms at home, go into the office a few times a week. Play pickleball or tennis as much as I can throughout the week.

• I block time for pool 2x a week and workout 2x a Week. And meditate with call everyday

• I have, admittedly due to not trusting myself, set up scheduled Alexa/IFTTT events to usher me out of the office and back to my family:

1. An audible announcement that it's getting late and I should wrap things up.
    2. The slow dimming of my lights over the course of 30 minutes until completely off.
    3. Once the lights are out, the power to my desk/PC is cut (temporarily), giving me minutes on my UPS to submit or save what I'm working on.
    4. Finally, though only a few steps away, when I walk through that door to leave, I do my best to let it all drop and wait for the next day to think about it anymore.

It's hard to let it go during a hyperfocused roll, or when backed against a deadline, but at a certain point in the evening I've programmed myself to flip a switch over to "go play games with your son" and then it's easy!

• I run or play tennis almost everyday, and also take walking breaks to get outside and get some sunlight! I also have gotten into audiobooks (among regular books.)

If this is an emergency, please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel. https://support.twilio.com/
Have an urgent question?
Please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel.
Contact Support