Type of push notifications in conversations

Hi,

Please consider following two cases. There are only two non-sms participants in conversation.

1. when a non-sms chat participant ABC starts a chat but a second non-sms participant XYZ replies back next day. Participant ABC had closed the browser.
  2. when a non-sms chat participant ABC starts a chat but a second non-sms participant XYZ replies after 10 minutes. Participant ABC is browsing net in another browser tab.

What are the best practices to notify ABC participant in both cases above?

I assume sending out sms and email notifications in 1st case. But before sending out sms notification, what things I need to make sure about conversation?

In case 2 I assume the ring sound notification will be enough and it will be handled by Conversation SDK itself and I don't need to do anything in code. Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you.

Answers

• hi @coderhut ,

Thanks for reaching out. 

Your suggested approach for the first scenario will work great, the only think to keep in mind is to re-use the participant identity when provisioning a new access token. However the Twilio SDK does not trigger audio notifications itself. The Conversations SDK is a bare-bones SDK for interacting with Twilio Conversations itself, it does not provide any additional functionality out of the box leaving that to you. 

Our Video React app does implement the live notifiers, even if you aren't using video its a great resource to look at for its conversations implementation https://github.com/twilio/twilio-video-app-react

Let me know if you have any questions

• Thank you for the reply.

I have a sub question related to sending out sms/text notification about new conversation message to non-sms conversation participant. I am using webhook to check for new messages in conversation.

If a one(ABC) non-sms chat participant left the chat, and the second(XYZ) non-sms participant sends out a message, then how can I decide that now is the time to send out the sms notification to first(ABC) non-sms conversation participants. What is the best practice to send out sms notification to non-sms chat participants for new messages.

If this is an emergency, please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel. https://support.twilio.com/
Have an urgent question?
Please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel.
Contact Support