Very New to Twilio. Needing help with flow.

ReggieMDavis
edited February 25 in Voice

Please bear with me as I know almost nothing about Twilio but I have an IT background and have done some minor coding 10+ years ago so I was tasked with setting up some basic call forwarding and voicemail functionality

What I am trying to accomplish is simply having 3 individual's cell phones ring when the Twilio number is dialed. I believe I have setup a basic flow which does this but I had several questions. First, Is there any way to differentiate to the 3 individuals that are receiving the forwarded call that this is a call from their Twilio number and not a personal phone call? I have tinkered with google voice in the past and know you could have the call come up as your voice registered number so you know this is a forwarded call.

Secondly, I have a text message sent out if a voicemail is recorded, is it possible to have this text sent out to 3 people instead of 1? Is it just as easy to have an email sent out? I was thinking I could have an email distro "Sales" that notifies the 3 individuals.

Is the only way to check the voicemail is to login to the Twilio website and go to "voice" then "overview" and play the message?

Two other questions; first, where is my best resource for learning Twilio? I'm having a hard time finding info online as I don't know the terminology.

I'm having an issue where the individual's personal voicemail is engaged instead of the Twilio VM. Is the only way to fix this to decrease the "timeout" or have them increase their VM delay through their cell phone provider?

I have attached a screenshot of my very basic flow. Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments

• Hi @ReggieMDavis , I'd be happy to help get these questions answered for you! Kudos to you for jumping back into some coding after a while of not coding. Honestly, given the detail of your questions I think it best to connect you to our support team. Is this something you would be interested in? If so, please DM me your full name, email and timezone.

Cheers!

• Follow up from Support:

We will do my best to answer your questions below:

First, Is there any way to differentiate to the 3 individuals that are receiving the forwarded call that this is a call from their Twilio number and not a personal phone call? I have tinkered with google voice in the past and know you could have the call come up as your voice registered number so you know this is a forwarded call.

If you would like the 3 users to receive the call from a Twilio number, that is definitely possible by setting the Caller ID in the Connect Call To widget. This Caller ID can be the Twilio number.

Secondly, I have a text message sent out if a voicemail is recorded, is it possible to have this text sent out to 3 people instead of 1? Is it just as easy to have an email sent out? I was thinking I could have an email distro "Sales" that notifies the 3 individuals.

You would need to have 3 Send Message widgets, one after another, to send the message to each of the recipients. Regarding Email, it's not as straight forward however we do have 2 Blog Articles that you could check out - https://www.twilio.com/blog/forward-voicemail-recordings-to-email and https://www.twilio.com/blog/build-serverless-voice-mail-sms-email-forwarding

Is the only way to check the voicemail is to login to the Twilio website and go to "voice" then "overview" and play the message?

You can actually include the Recording URL in your text message widget so that the SMS (or email) users can click on the hyperlink to access the recording.

Two other questions; first, where is my best resource for learning Twilio? I'm having a hard time finding info online as I don't know the terminology. I'm having an issue where the individual's personal voicemail is engaged instead of the Twilio VM. Is the only way to fix this to decrease the "timeout" or have them increase their VM delay through their cell phone provider?

In my opinion, a great way to learn is by watching our YouTube channel, available here - https://www.youtube.com/c/twilio. Regarding the personal voicemail, you are right, the way to control this is by using a shorter timeout value.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns and I will be happy to assist.

If this is an emergency, please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel. https://support.twilio.com/
Have an urgent question?
Please contact Twilio Support. This is not an official Support channel.
Contact Support